Sunday, October 26, 2008

Reaping the effects of Globaloria

I have spent most of the week in Charleston at a conference and was very worried that I would feel out of loop with what was going on with my students. However, my worries were unsubstantiated- all I had to do was to look at the kids' project pages and get caught up in 10 minutes! The conference was very productive- we talked about using data to drive student achievement and shared the positives and negatives of what was going on at our schools. I proudly talked about Globaloria and its effect on our student learning, as now I can see how their independence in learning is developing so well in addition to their collaboration skills and, very importantly to me, writing skills. Many people from other schools were very interested in the program and wanted to know more. It is really amazing that the way of delivering content I am still considering challenging but already "normal" was a completely new way of teaching for the educators in other schools. I can say that the program wowed them in many ways.

I have also realized that I am still not completely detached from being "a sage ib a stage" because I did not give kids enough credit for keeping up with their work and not get too distracted with experimenting in Flash. The students amazed me with their quite detailed project pages and thorough game descriptions. I guess, I will have to catch up with them, not vice versa! But I am not intending on going away again for a couple of months, so catching up should not be a problem!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We could be sales persons for this program. I, like you, see the students developing and learning so many other skills besides game design. I would also like to add that this is West Virginia. You know the place that has the representation of not being "up-to-speed." I think we are working to change that image. Keep up the good work.