Thursday, September 10, 2009

Do rights come with responsibilities?

As citizens of the United States of America, we have the privilege of enjoying many freedoms people in other countries cannot even imagine having. We have the rights that have a long history and are given to us at a price: they come with responsibilities towards our country, our fellow citizens, and ourselves. We know that the Bill of Rights protects us from unfair treatment by our national, state, and local governments, but as good citizens we have the responsibility of elect great leaders who would make and enforce the laws that protect our rights. But, is it enough? We do enjoy such basic rights as freedom to speak freely, believe in what we desire to believe, and feel free to express our individuality without being afraid for our lives or the well being of our loved ones. What do we do to handle these rights responsibly? Do our rights come with responsibilities?
"Suppose you have formed a committee to decide about the rules of the dress code at school in collaboration with your principal. You have the right to speak and add your suggestions. What responsibilities come with your speech and the speech of other members of the committee? What happens to your right to free speech if these responsibilities are not followed? How would you form the rules about the dress code? How can your freedom of expression be restricted by your rights and responsibilities within the school? What if your right to freedom of expression offensive to others? "

Before you write your blog, check out these cool resources and express your opinion!
Do I Have A Right?
Seattle Times Article on Student Rights to Expression

Student Rights and Responsibilities:



Good Blogging to you all!
Mrs. B.

5 comments:

Mr. Dorsey said...

Ingrida, I love this approach to blogging and especially in conjunction with Constitution Week next week. Also, this is a great video clip you are offering up for everyone. Thanks -- Bill

Mr. Allder said...

I am definitely stealing your Idea of posting your question on your blog! I love the video and the way you have automatically drawn your students into the world of blogging with your own posts!

This is great,

Jim

Mrs. Barker said...

Guys, feel free to take any ideas! I do the same thing, and that's what makes us better educators and helps us keep our students interested, challenged, and... communicating!

melonie'snewglifeblog said...

Ingrida,
I love this idea. This is a fantastic way to get your students interested in blogging. I will be stealing this as well.

Mrs. Barker said...

Melonie,
I would really recomment you trying to use blogging as a tool to talk about civics issues with your students. You could easily find out what makes them "tick" and use that knowledge to guide the girls through their game development process.